[at-l] An early winter trip

At 08:53 AM 11/2/2004 -0800, Paul Magnanti wrote:
>Was
>hard to triangulate too because part of the prominent
>peaks were now obscured in clouds. The weather was
>nice on the Eastern side though.

I'm always amazed at how the mountains can affect the weather. If you were
to reduce the Earth to the size of a bowling ball it would appear and feel
absolutely smooth. Mountains appear so huge because we are so small. And...
the atmosphere is so much thicker than the mountains you'd think that to a
cloud the mountain would just be a bump in the road but mountains do affect
the weather. The flow of air up mountain sides (moist air cooling as it
rises) can even create clouds. Weather is part of what makes mountain
hiking so fascinating.

>Amazing to see the
>weather hanging on the Western side! In any case,
>"guesstimated" where we were and pushed on through.
>Long story short, we broke out of the trees and found
>where the trail also breaks out through the trees. We
>were probably walking on the trail at some point, but
>it was covered with snow and could not be seen. I get
>at least a silver star for navigating. :-)

I think that would be a magnetite star. :)