[at-l] OT morfed from sox and other stuff

>"...When I was a young photographer
> had ambitions to be a photojournalist and did some news photography on
> local level. One of the things that turned me off from pursuing that
> career
> was that in order to get the photos the editors wanted I sometimes had
> be obnoxious. While I am not a particularly social person
> (understatement)
> I don't care to be obnoxious either and I am particularly loath to take
>
> advantage of people when they are at their most vulnerable, just to get
> photograph. I guess that's why I ended up shooting mostly landscapes."

When I started in the news business, I worked for a 3,000 circulation daily. My title was "city editor" but the entire news staff consisted of me and a parttime "society" reporter. I covered city hall, police, high school sports, took all the photos, and served as darkroom technician.

The paper's ancient 4x5 enlarger had a glass negative carrier. To avoid water spots on my pictures I would dunk the negatives in alcohol and wave them about for a second or two before printing.

But to get to the point of your letter. My technique was to use a twin lens Rolliecord. That way I could look away from the people I was photographing. Just pointing the lens. Most never knew I was taking their picture. It was pretty sneaky, but I got a few great shots.

Weary