[at-l] Sleeping Bag - Stuff it.

Amy,

Reference your post, dated 10-28-04.

I line my pack with one trashbag (T-1).  A general waterproof layer.

I put a second, folded, trashbag (T-2) inside, on the bottom of the first
trashbag (T-1), as a spare.  It, incidentally, helps safeguard the bags
above it (see below) from puncture.

I put an opened trash compactor bag (TC-1) on top of that.  I stuff the
sleeping bag into the trash compactor bag.  I flop the top of this trash
compactor bag over the enclosed sleeping bag.

I place another trash compactor bag (TC-2) on top of the first trash
compactor bag (TC-1), containing the sleeping bag.

I put the rest of the gear I would like to keep dry into the top trash
compactor bag (TC-2).  The weight of the gear in this trash compactor bag
?seals? the lower waterproof bag, containing the sleeping bag.

(A tangent to help make a point.)  I could buy a compression sack, pull all
the straps tight and force a four pound sleeping bag into a four pound mass
of smaller dimensions.  A smaller pack could carry everything.  A smaller
packs weighs less; weight is reduced.  The weight of a heavier compression
sack may offset the weight advantage it gains.  What has happened to the
sleeping bag?  The loft is reduced.  It is not as warm.

The method, before the tangent, hopes to reduce compression of the sleeping
bag.  The sleeping bag expands more fully, retains greater loft, and remains
warmer.

The two trash bags and two trash compactor bags which are used probably
weigh less than one good waterproof stuffsack.

Steve