[at-l] ON Topic - Workshop Subjects

  I think I'll add to the above:

When I found myself mentally griping this year, thinking there were
only a few Gathering workshops I wanted to hit, I snagged myself up
short. After all, I am ALDHA.
I'm in a training course this fall where one of the assignments is a
toughie: no bitching, no complaining.
(Anyone ever tried that?
It's a near impossibility, doomed to fail, but the thing is in
watching the aftermath of complaint: seeing one's energy level drop.
So, that makes failure a success, in a way...) (Granted, there is
CREATIVE whining, but that's a whole different ballgame, energy-wise.
There's a playful lightness to it that is not so down-dragging...)

But I digress. When I found myself head-bitching, I stopped myself
with this same question: well then, what do you want to see?

I thought of a few, but in reading Ken and Marcia's pre-hike entries
for their American Discovery Trail thruhike attempt next year, plus
listening to Jim and Ginny's advice on the CDT, I immediately came up
with one:

- Navigating with map and compass - how to get started. A hands-on
class, and then maybe an outside follow-up
You could throw in
- Using the above in combination with GPS.
Toss in a few
- experiences with the GPSgear - useful makes/weight/troubleshooting, etc.

This info has been available in Gatherings past, I know. I just wasn't
ready for it. But that's one I would attend next year.

I'm also up for a gear demo that shows the "lightest of the light" - a
collaborative forum, perhaps, with show-and-tell where we all brag on
our latest finds on cameras, sleeping pads, stoves, whatever - and
glom others. Have a scale handy, etc.

What else? Trail workshops are always good, I'm talking about the
"other/skill" category.

I'll also state my willingness to do one, but I am bereft of subject
ideas.

Brainstorm Shoe

--
     	AT Journal: