[at-l] (no subject)

OT - Humor - An eBay auction offering.

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:18:26 -0400

(I have eliminated administrative stuff.)

2 invitations to a wedding I don't want to go to.  Item number: 5527273221

Bidding has ended for this item.  The seller ended this listing early
because the item is no longer available for sale.

Starting bid 	£20.00
Item location:  United Kingdom /Aberdeen

Item Specifics

I've been invited to the wedding of a mate of mine who I used to know really
well until he started going out with the girl he's going to marry. She's a
dog. No really. I haven't seen them since I told her she's a dog over two
years ago. They've stupidly invited me to their wedding, but I don't want to
go. It's an invite to me '+plus 1" and involves the afternoon reception (a
sit down meal in a 4 star restaurant) and evening piss up (a bus will carry
you there, and drag you to the nearest b&b or trainstation after. Should be
a good day out. All in all I reckon there's a good £150 worth of
entertainment if you time it right. No one will know you're not me except
the groom and he'll be so pissed trying to forget his new wife's a dog he
won't notice. The only thing is, because she's such a dog, they might not
get married, so I reserve the right to cancel the bidding.

On 16-Oct-04 at 08:59:59 BST, seller added the following information:

Since listing the tickets I've been contacted by quite a few people who
think they're going to the same wedding. As it happens, 3 of you are and
want to sell your tickets too. So this auction is now for 5 tickets to the
wedding of a mate to a dog that we don't want to go to. Getting five of you
into a wedding might be a bit of a gamble, so I'll keep the buy it now price
the same, but you're now looking at at least £400 worth of free booze, good
food. Even if you have to listen to her dad do karaoke, and watch her mum
try to get off with the ushers.

On 18-Oct-04 at 11:50:06 BST, seller added the following information:

For those who've been asking, I can email photo's of the invite. I didn't
want to post them as I thought the pink feather trmming might make it a bit
too obvious which wedding I'm talking about. Suffice to say they play a
pretty good version of 'livin' la vida loca' when opened.

On 19-Oct-04 at 15:29:39 BST, seller added the following information:

I'm getting a lot of questions, so thanks to everyone who's expressed an
interest. Unfortunately I'm going to have to dissappoint most of you by
telling you that the bridesmaids are likely to be dogs too. I know, it's a
marital travesty. The bride's best mate works in a chippy in Colchester, and
they always used to go boozing in Stoke with her aunt who I seem to remember
had a penchant for DKNY tracksuits, Pineapple Bacardi Breezers and cafe
creme. Now, on the basis there's a 100% certainty that at least one of them
is a bridesmaid, there's not a lot of optimisim I can inject, is there? That
and the fact that I've heard that 2 of the ushers are now trying to sell
their tickets on loot having had the tip off about her mother.

On 21-Oct-04 at 13:41:46 BST, seller added the following information:

Blimey - it's all gone a bit Frey Bentos here hasn't it. I only popped out
to Petsmart to get the winning bidder a present to take, and I've come back
to about a billion questions. Haven't got the time to answer them all but
most common ones are: Yes there is a dress code - anything in satin by FILA
or UMBRO. Men can substitue ties for big jewellery. Yes the ladies must wear
hats - baseball caps or beanies. There's no vegetarian option, although
Pedigree Dry may very well be a starter. No, bidding does not include return
fare to Brisbane. No, the invite will not get you into the bridal suite. YOU
WOULDN'T WANT TO. REALLY. No, I won't marry you. Thanks though. No, I'm not
a misogynist, and yes, I do feel guilty... ...but she really really really
is a dog. Yes there's much more to this story, but not enough room here. Any
publishers out there?

On 21-Oct-04 at 15:17:06 BST, seller added the following information:

eBay have advised me that the current bid may not be genuine. I think 300
grand to go to the wedding of someone you've never met is pretty resonable,
but they've advised me to do the pre-approved bidders thing. So sorry kids,
but could bidders kindly email me and get pre-approved. Not my idea.
promise. good luck.

On 22-Oct-04 at 09:44:25 BST, seller added the following information:

Most of you have hit the nail on the head, you know. I still love the old
dog, despite what she did to me. And, thanks to the Colchester Massiv?s
?Honk if you?re Twinklydog?s Dog? campaign, she got in touch this morning
and we?ve had a good chat. It?s a bit of a gamble, but I?m going to pull the
auction, go to Aberdeen and see whether she?ll put a stop to this sham of a
wedding and marry me instead. Hope you understand. The cab?s outside, I?ve
got to go.

Questions from buyers:

Q: Don't you feel even the tiniest bit guilty for what you're doing, for his
sake more than anyone else's? Imagine if a psychopath bids and buys the
invitation from you and turns up at YOUR mate's wedding on what is supposed
to be the best day of his life? 	Answered on 21-Oct-04
A: You know, you're absolutely right. Although if faced by a psycopath, I'd
rather be behind a dog than not. So, if you think about it, he may end up
being safer for his choice of bride, you know.

Q: Thank you for the best laugh in a long time, you've made another
pointless night shift in Basra worthwhile 	Answered on 21-Oct-04
A: Wahey! Thanks for calling in mister.

Q: they gonna have cheese and pineapple on sticks? I love them i do.. I'll
bid big time if they have cheese and pineaple on sticks.. can you find out
if theres gonna me a buffett.. I will travel for cheese and pinapple on
sticks. I dont wanna do much else, no dancing, no bridesmaids, just wanna
know if theres cheese and pineapple on sticks. The last wedding i went to
had cheese and pineapple on sticks. It was a big foil covered vegitable or
somthign that had all the sticks pushed in it. It was big and it looked like
a cheese and pineapple hedgehog, i took photos of it which i have at home
and i didnt let anyone touch it till the end of the evening when i stood at
the door and have everyone a "spine" as they left. I didnt give any to the
kids though, they really dont need to know about cheese and pineapple
	Answered on 21-Oct-04