-----Original Message-----

From: "Shane"

<<snipped>>

As a teenager, some other boys and I had this great place in Alabama.
As
teenagers, some friends and I would frequent what we knew as Fox
Mountain; a
smallish, rocky, densely wooded mountain with a bald, grassy peak that
had
very nice views of a large lake and the surrounding countryside.  This
was
just outside Montgomery, on the Jordan River.  Twenty years ago, there
was a
small time gravel pit operating there, and we knew the foreman, who in
turn
knew the property owner, and we secured permission to hike and camp in
what
eventually became our own private wilderness area.  The gravel pit took
up a
very small area in this magnificent landscape, and we had several
hundred
acres all to ourselves.  We would hike, wander, swim in the lake, dive
off a
forty-foot high cliff, bathe in a waterfall, build campfires, eat camp
food,
stay up all night, and generally act like savages without any adults to
tell
us what to do.  We never got into any trouble, because there wasn't any
trouble to find.  We'd stay for weeks until the food ran out.  Howling
at
the moon, building HUGE bonfires, playing cat and mouse with the
resident
bear, swinging from the trees, climbing on the rocks, and generally
living a
fantasy life.  We never went to bed before midnight, never got up before
sunrise, and almost never wore clothes.  We became someone legendary in
those parts, and rumors that wild men live among the trees are still
told in
the local store.  These rumors were evidently wildly exaggerated and
spread
by the gravel pit workers, who knew who we were, but had to tell a
bigger
lie than the next guy to keep the story interesting.  We were actually
'hired' to scare the new guys, whenever one was brought on...