[at-l] Sleeping bags

At 08:02 AM 10/26/2004 -0400, ken bennett wrote:
>It's not just the weight, it's the cost. Yes, a good down bag is expensive,
>but most synthetic bags only last a couple of years before the insulation is
>squashed flat (stuffing your synthetic bag is what kills it). A well-made
>down bag can last at least ten years. So a $150 synthetic has to be replaced
>every few years, while a $300 down bag lasts ten -- you do the math.
>
>(I know I will get letters from people claiming that their 1987 Polarguard
>bag is still the cat's meow, as it were, but the general truth of the matter
>is that synthetic bags have a limited life at full loft. They may still be
>usable after 5 years, but they won't be anywhere near as warm.)

That depends on how you store it. If you keep it compressed in its stuff
sack, yeah, 2 years and it's pretty much dead. Storing any bag stuffed is
not a good idea, not even down. I always yell at the TV when they do those
ads for the storage bags where they put in winter clothing, comforters,
etc. and vacuum all the air out then show how you can store it anywhere
safe from moisture and saving space at the same time. "BUT YOU ARE KILLING
THE LOFT!" When you aren't hiking, store your bag by hanging it. Mine has 2
loops of ribbon at the foot for that purpose. Take care of your sleeping
bag and it will take care of you.