[at-l] Introduction (Read at own risk)

Shane wrote:

>David brought up something I'd like to ask to all of you.  If you had to
>point to one pivotal experience, a milestone, that turned you on to the
>outdoors and backpacking in particular, what was it?

Sometime about 30 years ago I was in the parking lot at Clingman's Dome.
It was a typical Clingman's Dome day...foggy, windy, drizzly and
chilly.  There were three people filling their water bottles at a water
fountain. They put their packs on and walked into that soup and out of
sight. That was soooo fugging kewl. Later that same week we were camping
somewhere along the Parkway or Skyline drive where the AT runs near a
campsite (I suspect it was Big Meadow) and my mom swears (and, momma
don't tell no lie) that I said "Someday I'm gonna hike that trail"...
(footnote to newbies and inexperienced hikers...this does not mean that
your mom's have to tell you that you told them you were gonna hike that
trail when you were 12)