[at-l] Sleeping Bags

No, you are jumping to a couple of conclusions. The bacteria that eat human
sweat and oils aren't all that nasty, as they get rid of weight that we add
to the bag. They live with us, and are the reason we are so "fragrant" when
sweating and hiking for several days.

Dampness isn't inherent in well designed sleeping bags with good covering.
Your body heat serves as a nearly 100 F furnace to force vapor from the bag
and out into the surrounding environment. If you are in a tent, you see it
as condensation. If you sleep in a tarp or shelter, you don't see the vapor
at all. You can even use the bag to dry wet clothes, if you are judicious
about how much clothing at a time, and waiting until the bag is warm. Your
bag gets bacteria, mites and smelly because any good hiker brings that
stuff into the bag with them. Once the critters have feasted on Eau de You,
they die out from starvation. Each time a sweaty hiker climbs into the bag,
the cycle repeats.

Fabreeze does something to mask the fragrance. I don't know what it does to
the fabric, hence I'd check with the bag manufacturer before using the
stuff. I use it everywhere else, including me.

OrangeBug