[at-l] Sleeping Bags

OK, so my REI Sub Kilo 20? bag is covered in the company equivalent of Pertex.  What do I need to know about DWR and washing?  When I use Down Wash, that only cleans and fluffs the feathers, right?  What do I need to use on the shell fabric?  Would I use the same spray stuff that I use on my shoes?  This is my first down bag, and I really may be mistreating it without knowing it.  We bought a front loader washer specifically for washing sleeping bags and quilts, and I may be washing it too often, just because I can.  anklebear
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Logan Park
  To: amy
  Cc: Leslie Booher ; at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 9:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Sleeping Bags

  true true-- durable water repellency refers to the fabric's ability to
  make water bead on its surface instead of soaking in and killing off
  the insulative value.  There are lots of ways to do this, but DWR
  generally refers to soaking the fabric in a water-repellent chemical
  during manufacturing.

  A corollary (sp?) to this is that the DWR chemical treatment wears
  off, especially when you wash the bag.  But you can buy DWR wash-in
  treatments that restore, to varying degrees, the water repellency of
  the fabric.

  Hopdry