[at-l] Tarp or tent?

On 10/22/04 3:22 PM, "Marn44@aol.com" <Marn44@aol.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to know is how do you keep dry in a tarp? Especially with no
> floor and it's raining outside? Weightwise it really what I'm leaning toward
> but the keeping dry thing has me leary of the whole idea. Any help out there?

It needs to be pitched carefully, and the location is everything. The usual
hard-packed dirt around a shelter is not a good spot -- water will run under
the tarp.

I have been dry and comfortable under a 5x8-foot silnylon tarp in fairly bad
weather -- rain, snow, etc. (ok, the blizzard was a bit much, but I
survived). I use an old Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag cover, which has a
waterproof floor and a breathable top with bug netting, which is useful but
not necessary.

Using a tarp well takes experience. Practice pitching it in the back yard in
the rain, and try different configurations until you are pleased with it.

Good luck.

Ken B