[at-l] AT-L = 95% Junk

> I am alleged to snore like a banshee, and
> thus
> would not want to sleep in the shelters except for the Smokies where it is
> mandatory, or when there is no one (or just one or two others) in the shelter
> --
> in which case I've been known to set up my tent in the shelter, simply because
> have this problem with mice running over me.  (I know, I know, get used to it;
> don't be a woooss, but it's my hike, right?)

You're going to have a hard time finding a free-standing tent that's very
much under 4 or 5 pounds. Also, snoring in the shelters is a given -- don't
worry about offending anyone. Experience hikers carry earplugs. Carry a
small piece of mosquito netting to put over your face to keep the mice off.

If you don't want to carry a tarp (the lightest solution short of no shelter
at all), one of the Henry Shires Tarptents may be a good solution. Weights
are under 2 pounds for the one or two person shelters. No, they are not
freestanding, but whoever said life was fair? <grin>

Frankly, with a 17-ounce ultralight pack, you're going to have a hard time
carrying a 7+ pound tent. Not just the weight, but the space.

Good luck.

Ken