  From: TrailR@aol.com
  To: shellydhale@earthlink.net ; bennettk@wfu.edu ; lpatton@mailer.fsu.edu ; at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 11:20 PM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] 5% hiking

  In a message dated 10/21/2004 9:22:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, shellydhale@earthlink.net writes:
    Ken,

    I have a 4 LB (rated 20) and a 6 LB (rated 5) synthetic bags right now.  I
    would like to shave a couple more pounds off of that.  So, I guess I'm
    looking at 2 lbs. as a target weight for my bag.
  **
  Hmmm... To get a 2 pound bag that fit me (A long) for my thruhike, I had to
  spend more money. My MountainSmith Vision 15F down bag was about 2
  pounds 4 oz, and cost over $300. The lighter you need it, the better the down
  has to be, the more it costs. If you settle for 3 pounds, your options are broader.

    Usage...year round.  There are some sleeping systems out there that are
    convertible...I've looked at a couple of those, and will be researching them
    some more.

    I as well as my daughter are hot sleepers.  I actually can't sleep at night
    at home unless it's close to 60 degrees.  My husband hates my cold feet when
    I come to bed, but then he also complains that I roast him after a while.
    ;-))

    As far as for my daughter, she sweats a lot when she's sleeping.  I think
    that this will be a problem if her bag gets damp during the night.  Do you
    think synthetic would be better suited for her because it dries quicker?
    And, what can we do to help it dry quicker or to prevent her bag from
    becoming damp in the first place?
  **
  Ask Wench, she hiked in a Synthetic bag. She was drying her damp clothes
  in it at night, it took the moisture out of the clothes & still kept her warm.
  You can't do that with a down bag (my clothes stayed wet)

    I'm not too sure about the Kelty Light-year.  I don't like "spots".  I think
    I'd prefer something with a more even fill.

  **
  Take your time & pick what works for you AND your budget.

  hotdog