[at-l] Re: Shelly's Questionnaire

> > When are you planning to thru?

At this rate, 2012.

> > Will you be SOBO or NOBO?  Why?

NOBO.  I've always preferred to hike north for some strange reason.

> > Will you use mail drops?

Some.

> > What kind of pack do you use?

Right now, a KISKIL Mithril, or a StrapPack by Eddie Hinnant.

> > What is your overall weight at right now?

235, but I'm working on it.

If you mean the pack, somewhere around 35 in the cold, and as light as 20 in
the heat, including water.

> > What kind of boots, trail runners, or other footgear do you use?
> New Balance 804

Sandals or barefoot.

> > What kind of clothing right now?  And, when you thru?

As little as possible.  All the way down to nothing if I can help it.  In
areas frequented by Girl Scouts, I usually wear something...

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/clothing/meninskirts.
htm

> > Sleeping bag?  (mummy, down, synthetic)

Mummy, feet slipped into the foot box and zipped up to my knees, the rest
open as a quilt in my hammock.

> > Preferred shelter? (tent, tarp, shelter, hostel, motel, RV?)

Hammock.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/whyhammock.ht

> > Water purification system?  (filter, MIOX, Aquamira)
> Sweetwater / Polar Pure  with Aquamira on order

H20 Amigo.  (Gravity filter)

> > Personal protection...knives, guns, slingshot, pepper spray,
> > hiking stick or KellyGoVols when she's really ticked off?  ;-))

I'd love to hike with Kelly, but barring that, pepper spray.  I have a
knife, and I know how to use it, but I don't expect to need it.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/guns.htm

> > Favorite trail food?  Most hated trail food?

LOVE: Mac & cheeze.  Coconut rice.  Stir fry.  Steak on the first night.

HATE: Pop Tarts.  Packaged confections.

> > What (other than mucking around on the at-l) are you doing for
> preparation
> > for your thru?

I'm supposed to prepare?

> > What's in your wallet

Cash.

> > Cell phone (for or against?)

For.

> > Want to provide a list of gear for a thru and let the list do an
> >"online tuckerization"?

Not particularly.  If I don't know what to carry and not carry by now, I'm
in real trouble.

> More questions:
>
> What Stove:

Finbar Folding Fire Grate:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Finbar%20Folding%
20Fire%20Grate/Shane%20Steinkamp/

or

http://tinyurl.com/4kcjr

> Hiking with Partner or Solo?:

Solo.  I'm too much of an arrogant prick to hike with people for very long.

> Thru-Hike, Flip-Flop, Section Hike?:

Thru, leaning towards section.  Responsibility sucks.

> Best Hiking advice or infor learned this year?:

"Hiking in cotton doesn't kill, hiking with your head up your ass kills." -
Jerry Goller

More questions:

* What's the best hiking advice you ever heard?

Skills are more important than gear, among others.

This page came from this list:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/philosophy/begin.htm

* What's the best place to learn about gear?

www.backpackgeartest.org

* If you could hike with anybody alive today, who would it be?

Felix, Curtis, and Kelly.

* If you could hike with anybody NOT alive today, who would it be?

MacKaye, Avery, and RnR.

Shane