[at-l] Evil Empire

In a message dated 10/21/2004 10:17:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cedric_maxwell@yahoo.com writes:

This is  a full on troll post. I am so glad that you are so enlightened, Grey
Owl.  Everytime people get excited about sports, there is almost a few of
these
sticks-in-the-mud to try and bring people down. So you don't  understand
professions sports. Good for you. You are in the minority.
**
Actually, he does understand professional sports. A lot of over paid,
obnoxious,
athletes, mixed in with other athletes that actually enjoy the game more
than
a huge paycheck.The Yankees are the worst as far as bulging salaries go
(note
the visa check card commercial).
I like watching sports where there is an enthusiasm that goes beyond the
paycheck, where the excitement is for the joy of the game, where
sportsmanship
is the rule of the day. College, Olympic sports, and even local league
sports.
To me, a good local league softball game is more exciting than a major
league
game.  Just my opinion, YMMV

For the  rest of us,
we love professional sports. It gives us a "tribe" to root for.  It is very
logical from an evolutionary standpoint. And year after year,  rooting for
your
team, hoping that they do well, and talking with other  people about the team.
Its a social thing, its a bonding thing. And when  something like last night
happens, its a FANTASTIC thing. To have so many  thing go wrong over the
years,
to have so many disapointments... To have  one specific team cause so much
pain.
And to have all that whiped out in  one game last night.. well, quite simply
it
was eurphoric.

**
Yes, I understand the need for a Tribe to root for. It's the same on the  AT.
Those of us that are not currently hiking, love having someone on the trail
to root
for. And it felt good being on the trail to have "fans" to support  me.

As for the "pain" caused by a team, I guess I don't get it. It's a game,
someone has to lose. Disappointment? Yes. Pain? No. But again,  that's
just me. Others are entitled to feel differently. The team I grew  up
watching
with my father, has won a couple times in my lifetime.

BackToHikingDog