[at-l] The Mother Ruck

On Monday, October 18, 2004, at 08:17  PM, Beth Harper wrote:

> I'm glad there's talk of the Ruck.  I only know a little about it, but
> I hear it's a good time.  So, can someone explain to us newcomers what
> this Ruck involves?

A bunch of hikers, thru-hikers, and wannabe thru-hikers get together
for a weekend.
We look through each other's pictures, reminisce, catch up, get to know
new folks,
eat a lot, watch slide shows, donate used gear to a gear sale for a
good cause,
find out about new gear, maybe gently criticize the contents of
somebody's pack.

A bunch of people usually hike to the midway point sign on the AT, not
far from
the hostel.

There are bunkrooms in the hostel.  Right close by is a campground if
you
prefer to camp.  There are motels in driving distance, though I'm not
sure
how far.  10-20 miles, I guess.  The hostel's in a very nice middle of
nowhere.

There's a website.  http://friends.backcountry.net/ruck/

-amy