[at-l] AT License Plate Project Adendum

At 11:25 AM 10/17/2004 -0400, Jim Bullard wrote:
>At 03:06 AM 10/17/2004 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>>In a message dated 10/16/2004 7:56:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>>randerson58@comcast.net writes:
>>*
>>Are AT plates available in the other states? Is it possible to expand the
>>campaign to include the other 13 states thur the AT passes?
>>RHA
>>
>>                 *** I like the way this man thinks...
>
>NY has a custom plate program. I have initiated getting one started for
>the Adirondack Mountain Club (not sure where the project stands at
>present) but I know it can be done. Details on the process can be found
>here... http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/cpl8faqs.htm which indicates (way at
>the bottom) that there is a temporary moratorium on new custom plates. I
>guess that tells me where the ADK plate project stands and precludes
>starting an AT one in the immediate future. :(

Quick research on other states:

GA: Has "special interest plates". Any GA AT promoter could check on
getting a GA AT plate by writing:
Attention: Special Interest Registrations
Motor Vehicle Services
P.O. Box 740381
Atlanta, GA 30374-0381
or by phoning  (404) 362-6500

TN: Has a specialty plate program. A TN AT supporter interested in pushing
for an AT plate should write to:
Department of Safety
Title and Registration Division
44 Vantage Way, Suite 160
Nashville TN 37243-8050
or call (615) 741-3101

VA: Has a special plates program and a page describing the process for
initiating a new one at
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/special_plate_process.asp.

WV: Has a special plate program. Anyone in WV wanting to press for an AT
plate needs to contact: Commissioner F. Douglas Stump
Building 3, Capitol Complex
1800 Kanawha Boulevard East
Charleston, WV 25317
Toll Free: 1-800-642-9066 (in-state)
Phone: 304-558-3900

PA: Has a specialty plate program. A web page at
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/license_plates/specialty_plates.shtml explains
the basics of the program and who to contact to get one started.

NJ: Has a specialty plate program. Their web page at
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/cit_plates/specala.htm describes several and gives
contact info that could probably lead to info on starting an AT plate.

CN: Has a specialty plate program, including a plate for Ferrari owners! To
get an AT plate off the ground write to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
phone 860-263-5700 (Within Hartford area or outside of Connecticut)
800-842-8222 (Elsewhere in Connecticut)
or email mail@dmvct.org

MA: Has a specialty plate program. To ask about getting an AT plate a
Massachuseite type person should go to http://www.mass.gov/rmv/feedback/
and send them an email.

VT: Has special interest and vanity plates. Write to:
Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

NH: Their web site does not indicate that they have a custom plate program.
Any NH AT enthusiast wanting to pursue this could write to:
James H. Hayes Buildings
33 Hazen Drive
Concord NH 03305
VIRGINIA C. BEECHER
DIRECTOR OF MOTOR VEHICLES

ME: Has a limited number of specialty plates (black bear & lobster were all
I saw). To inquire about getting an AT plate contact:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
M.F. Chip Gavin, Deputy Secretary of State
29 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333
207-624-9000
Fax: 207-624-9013

In all cases I suspect that inquiries from residents of the state being
lobbied (yes, you are a lobbyist when doing this) will be taken more
seriously than those from out-of-state. As Thru-thinker's experience (and
my own on ADK's behalf) demonstrates, anyone undertaking this must be
prepared to follow through for a long time. These projects require
development of a minimum level of support (several hundred committed
customers) to get off the ground not to mention dealing slow moving
bureaucracy.

Saunterer