Horse and Hikers - Was Perspective, was Trail closures -- Was [at-l] FLA Trail reopens

Bradley M. Bishop wrote:

>I'd like to pass along an observation from my week on trail crew with Rocky Top in the Smokies. One of the local horse clubs has teamed with ATC and the park service and provided an invaluable service packing a lot (almost all) of our food and equipment up the mountain for us. They also routinely help with trail maintenance. Is this happening in other areas as well?

I know that here in Indiana there was a joint effort this spring/summer
building what has to be the absolute finest dayhiking trail in all of
Indiana, if not the midwest. (Pate Hollow Trail...located immediately
behind the DNR office on IN SR446, just north of Lake Monroe) I think
that the 'horse people' can obviously help the 'non-horse people' far
more than vice-versa (trail construction, clean up, maintenance etc.). I
think (or, for me) the problem is basically two things: damage to the
trail (ruts, etc) and manure.  For the most part the people involved are
of similar ilk and desire. If we could just get the horses to walk on
two legs and weigh less...