>From the official ALDHA website:
(http://www.aldha.org/gather04.htm)

"The board of directors would also like to remind all Gathering attendees that it is the policy of our campground host not to allow alcohol at the Appalachian South Folklife Center. Because we are guests of the folklife center, ALDHA will strictly adhere to the center?s policies. No one will be allowed to have alcoholic beverages on the grounds of the folklife center."

OK, fine; however, empty containers were observed in the trash at the Appalachian South Folklife Center. I personally opted to stay at the Bent Mountain campground/resort, in order to indulge my alcoholism. I brought and consumed an ENTIRE 6 pack of "Mike's Hard Lemonade" over the course of the weekend, in addition to having sips of wine and ACTUAL, GENUINE MOONSHINE!!! Of course, MY version of alcoholism allows me to go for weeks, sometimes MONTHS, without consuming any alcohol whatsoever.
(And yes, I do know that "De Nile" ain't just a river in Egypt...)

I personally had a good time, enjoyed great camaraderie, and some of Marsha's AWESOME chili! It is my deeply held conviction that you get out of something what you put into it; I was there to renew former acquaintances, and make new ones...which I did. Big "shout out" to Red!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see everyone, but that was due in part to people being spread out in a number of locations. I actually spent time in 3 of those, plus the college. This was my first Gathering, and perceptions of negativity notwithstanding, I expect it won't be the last.

I'VE reported; YOU decide... ☺

-"Camo"

PS: For a picture of me and my big old beer gut:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/Camo_Jack_hikes/aaw
------------------------------
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:17:14 -0400
From: Chase Davidson <wb4pan@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [at-l] News
To: amy@mindspring.com
Cc: at-l@backcountry.net

Amy
	I wish everybody could have come. To me the Gatherings are the primo
annual event. I value them as much as any two other hiker hiker get
together put together. The only difference this time was that we
really were supposed to follow the no drinking rules of our host this
time. A few people chose to have a group camp at another. These two
things upset some people. Life is full of choices. Lots of folks
always have camped at other locations or stayed in motels in the past.
It seemed to me the campground had many more tents than usual on
Friday night. So maybe some of those folks that usually stay elsewhere
came to the Folk Life Center this time. Anyways I hope everyone had a
great time :-)

chase