[at-l] Fall begins to kiss the Smokies

--- David Hicks <daveh@psknet.com> wrote:

> It's do'able, with black flies, a fast pace, and
> competing with NOBO's in the
> shelters.

Well, I do tend to avoid the shelters because I do not
like being jammed like a sardine. When I did hiking
back East, I usually avoided shelters (unless there
was 3 other people or less in the shelter). Prefered
tenting it.  Amazing how few people are  a mere .25
mile away from a shelter!  Besides, once you are pass
CT going SoBo the hordes are long gone. Sure Nina or
Felix can comment more on that.

Besides, I'd be more worried about the SoBo pack. The
most thru-hikers I saw at one time were 13 SoBos in
Maine! I only saw one NoBo between somewhere in CT and
the Whites...,.ME!  WHEN I LOOKED IN A MIRROR ! :D

And "fast pace" is a relative term. As for the black
flies...aye, there's the rub! THat I can't avoid.

> I was just suggesting, what appears to be a tad more
> comfortable itinerary --  > albeit one with a tad
>more logistics.

Again, comfort is a relative term. Remember, I was
suggesting a SoBo journey of this type for me. :-)
What works for me may not work for you.

Other's may not want to do a 5 mo thru-hike. For me it
would work fine. I'd hate to do all the shuttling
around. As always, YMMV.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com