[at-l] 2nd Alligator Death (OT)

*
       *** Another one not too far away. The poor woman was visiting from
Georgia and got romantic. She took a moonlight swim in the large pond behind her
relative's housing division at 2:30am. She must not have known that is
absolutely suicidal down here. An 8 footer took her and drowned her. Then ate her
forearm. They found it in its belly after they shot it the next day.

             I'm contemplating writing a letter to our local newspaper
because this is fomenting anti-environmental resentment amongst the common folk down
here. Of course this is the second fastest sprawl area in America, so
anything that even hints at limiting nature is seized upon by the pundits in the
local rag (ie: unlimited sprawl is right because it protects people).

            I'm ticked-off because we had a beautiful 8 footer in our
backyard that left us alone and us same. He hasn't been seen since the Sanibel
Council changed their rule and culled 44 alligators from the island. They just did
it secretly. That pisses me off - for one reason being that the first victim,
Janie Melsek, was a well-known island conservationist and NEVER would have
agreed to that being done in her name.

                Of the several local attacks over the last 3 years:

      Robert Steele: Leg ripped off while trying to save his dog from an
attack. He was 81 and walking his dog near a pond edge. This is a well-known
mistake and warned against. He was too old to run. Fatal: 9-11-2001

           A woman was gardening on her hands and knees in her backyard next
to her pond with her back turned. Grabbed by 7 foot alligator on leg. Fought
off. Alligator shot. This woman violated one of the clear no-no's of alligator
danger. April 2004

       February 2004. Minor attack. No description available.

       July 2004;

            Landscaper Janie Melsek was trimming a hedge right on a pond edge
with her back turned. Badly bitten from torso, arms, buttocks, down to legs.
Survived and was recovering only to die from severe bacterial infection from
pond water in bites.
             Bad accident and sad but I must add was violating one of the
basic no-no's down here in regards to alligators.

           Michelle Reeves:

               20 year-old Georgia woman swims at night in large neighborhood
pond. Must not have been aware of Florida alligator danger. Again - no
question this was as bad of an alligator rule mistake as you can make. (Not the
alligator's fault) 9-26-2004

           There's a real environmental hotbed down here. You would be
shocked at the blatant posturing these attacks have provoked amongst the
anti-environment/construction group. I think somebody needs to point out that almost each
case was due to some disregard of the alligator rules down here...

      If this same standard were applied to pollution deaths or car accidents
we would be plowing many corporate parks back into forests.

*
*
*