[at-l] Mean Jeanne

from...   http://tinyurl.com/5r3ub

Blue Ridge Parkway ?
Park campgrounds in North Carolina and the Rocky Knob and Otter Creek
campgrounds in Virginia were closed yesterday as the remnants of Jeanne
approached the region. Most of the parkway between milepost 317 at
Linville Falls and mile 469 at Cherokee was also closed. Exempted from
this closure were segments from mile 325 to 344, which provides access
to the Little Switzerland community, the heavily traveled Asheville
corridor from the Folk Art Center to US 25 (Hendersonville Road), and
mile 402 to 412 from NC Highway 151 to US 276, which provides access to
the Pisgah Inn and restaurant. These sections were to remain open as
conditions permitted. Closed sections of the road and campgrounds will
be assessed today. Concessioner-operated lodges and restaurants, the
Northwest Trading Post at Glendale Springs, the Museum of North Carolina
Minerals at Spruce Pine, and the Folk Art Center at Asheville all
remained open. Jeanne was expected to bring sustained winds of 25 to 35
mph and gusts at high elevations of up to 60 mph. Heavy rain was also
expected. The National Weather Service issued a flood watch and high
wind warning for western North Carolina, and the governor yesterday
declared a state of emergency for the area from Asheville east to
Raleigh. Maintenance crews have been working extended hours and over the
weekend to make campground repairs and clear tree falls from Ivan. Most
sections of the parkway, excluding those closed by rock and mudslides,
should reopen this week if Jeanne does not create substantial additional
damage.

Steve