[at-l] Man,

In a message dated 9/27/2004 4:35:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hudsom@us.ibm.com writes:

20/20  hindsight tells me I adjusted to coming off of the trail pretty well.
I  think it was the rose-colored glasses, because I found some post hike
notes  of mine that were not at all positive.

Your view of life changes on the  trail. Then you go back to work, and they
dump stuff on you and tell you  it's important that you get it done. And
your question is "So who has to  sleep in a wet sleeping bag without dinner
if I don't get it done?". I wish  I had a good answer for that...

**
I never went back to work, so I guess every day life got to be a drag. I
went from
doing what I wanted, when I wanted (pretty much), to being in an  environment
that
I had people telling me what to do all the time (when you don't work, you
have to
"honey-do"). Tough adjustment.

Part  of the mental adjustment is directly related to the physical
adjustment. As  Mags said you're coming down off of a six month endorphen
rush. So sitting  on the couch is just going to make things worse. Get out
for a dayhike, hit  the gym, blow the dust off your bicycle. You don't have
to take up racing,  just get active.
And if you're like most thru-hikers you're going to  put on some post-hike
poundage. You're not burning 5000 calories a day  anymore but your appetite
hasn't turned off yet, so it's damn near  inevitable, but some exercise will
help. As a skinny person I can tell you  that a matter of a couple of extra
pounds (Hey, I'm small framed) makes me  feel like crap, so that probably
reflected in my attitude  too...

**
I walked 5 days a week, but it wasn't enough. I put my weight on slow, but
steady. I lost 50 pounds on my hike, and gained 38 back. And  holding...

Quite some time after I got off of the trail a very close  friend of my said
"You've never come all the way back, have you?"
That's  what I'd been feeling, and I was surprised someone actually noticed.
And I  was glad, because it meant that I still had some of the trail  with
me...

skeeter

**
I don't think I want to come back all the way. But I need to get back more
than
half way.... LOL! Maybe...

hotdog
AT 03