[at-l] Trip Report Maine, Part 2; Summiting Katahdin

A wonderful account and great photos. But the Knife Edge appears worse in pictures than it is in fact. To my knowledge no one has ever fallen off the side of the "knife." The injuries occur mostly by falling while climbing in and out of the gut between Pamola and the top of the "Chimney."

Hikers doing the Knife Edge in that area fall backwards or forwards while climbing, not to one side or the other. Climbing down Pamola while heading toward Katahdin is like climbing down a ladder facing out. The safe solution is to turn around and face the rocks. There are plenty of hand and foot holds if one is facing in a direction to use them.

None of this means that the Knife Edge isn't scary. There are thousand foot drops in places. It's just that one would have to really work to fall down them. The worse place has a two-foot level treadway (well at least 16 inches anyway) and a rock wall on one side to hold on to. :-)

Weary