[at-l] 1st of 14 Parapackers stories

Ah, the good old days...

Felix asks, Why " Bamaman" ?

The Bamaman responds:

        It was sometime in April, somewhere in North Carolina and
somewhat after consuming my sixth Bama Pecan Pie that Julian "Old Man"
Westhal my hiking buddy from England turned to me and said, " Aye
Chief I think we should call you the Bamaman !"

        The almighty Bama Pecan Pie that delectable, edible 3 inch pie
in the nifty little tin pie plate and cellophane wrapper.  I'm not
sure they even make them anymore but boy were they good and cheap too.

        I remember the time we stopped at the budget motorcourt in
Waynesboro, Virginia and were told that a couple of thruhikers from
Maine, Rosebud and Schroth were in the room next to ours.  Well after
we checked out our room I went to the wall and banged on the wall, "
Hey it's me the Bamaman ! "  "The Bamaman's Here!"

        After about the fourth time we heard the door next door open
and some footsteps coming to our door, a knock and then we both said
"come on in!"  In came these two gigantic guyswho didn't look anything like
Rosebud and Schroth and who had their names sewn on their shirts
shouted " Who the hell is the Bamaman ? "  I of course immediately
turned to Old Man westall and said "He's the Bamaman, he's the
Bamaman."

        Julian started to speak and next thing I knew was outside the
door laughing with the good old boys.  I later found out that he told
them that I was a little Daff in the head and that he sometimes
couldn't control my actions.

        So remember this story when you read any posts from the
Bamaman AT '81