[at-l] Hiking poles - On Topic

In a message dated 9/22/2004 8:38:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jmmiele@optonline.net writes:

I have  yet another question for y'all who have your PhD's in the AT.

Hiking  poles - love 'em?  Hate 'em? Why?  Do they get in the way or do they
assist in the journey?  I' figure that I'll hear a little of each, but  I'd
like to hear what people think.
**
Never used them before my AT hike last year. I'll never hike without them
again.
Well, unless I'm hiking with my wife, then she gets to use them & I do
without
(She won't hike without them either).

Most of the people that started hiking the AT last year without poles,
bought poles.
They saved my knees, and my life on occasion. I wouldn't have finished my
hike
without them.

If  I'm going to be trying out poles for the first time should I begin with
some  cheap-o poles until I figure out if I like them or not and then switch to
 better ones?  Should I get decent ones that have been used (from Ebay or
whatever) rather than cheap new ones from Target or  K-Mart?

*
No, at many gear shops, you can rent good poles & try them out.
I used the Leki - Super Makalu COR Tec PA's. A 3 section pole, with springs
in
them to soften the jolt to your hands. They had a man made cork grip, and a
Positive attitude (the grips were tilted forward). I really liked these
poles.

What  are the important things to look for when selecting poles, and what is
the  proper height that I should adjust them to (I'm 5'9").
**
I believe they should be adjusted so your arms are at a right angle at the
elbow, when
you are standing there holding the poles. If you rent poles, have the
outfitter show you
how to adjust them.

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but you folks have been  so helpful in
the past with my questions about boots and foot pain that I  thought I'd throw
this one at you too.  FWIW, most of the thruhikers I've  run into have been
using two poles.

Peace,
Joe

**Enjoy,