[at-l] Palmerton Hostel

In a message dated 9/21/04 08:16:35 Eastern Daylight Time,
jbullar1@twcny.rr.com writes:

> Hostels of the type JohnO got the
> letter from are "out of the goodness of our hearts and we *hope* you will
> donate enough to cover the cost" organizations. Asking them to take on the
> additional burden of solving the problem is unrealistic when they can solve
> it (and spare themselves a lot of other self imposed hassles) by simply
> closing the hostel.

I realize that some of the Hostels along the trail are "no profit" type of
organizations or adjuncts to a church which provides the service as a matter of
their ministry, or by a town or village as a way of keeping people from
sleeping on park benches, or by some other type charity out of the goodness of their
hearts.  Still, there seems to be a need for some type of communication
between those who extend themselves for ideas that work in one area can be put to
use in another.  Also, the ATC has interest in this regard for its members are
the most astute in terms of trail use and services along the trail.

The ATC is not a "deep pockets" organization but if a voluntary committee
could address this problem then information, advertising, communication, etc.,
are possible to gather along the trail.  The publication could be paid for by
the income derived from the ads and/or donations.

Of course, I wouldn't want to see a drain on the resources or potential
resources of the ATC.

Skylander