[at-l] A romp through Aspen (trip report)

In Colorado we do not have the brilliant colors you
see in a New England Autumn. What we do have are the
aspen trees tuning a golden yellow with the snow
covered Rockies behind them. Not too shabby if you ask
me.

What better way to see the aspens change than in the
town of Aspen, CO?  This town acquired the name for
obvious reasons. As such, the town is ablaze in
shimnering gold leaves. And the most photographed
mountains in Colorado (the Maroon Bells) are located
not far from this town.

This past weekend did a trail half-marathon. The
Golden Leaf Half.
http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1135607
We also did some camping just outside this town.

Aspen is known for being a "swanky" ski town. Next to
Vail, probably the most famous ski area in Colorado.
It really is a pretty town, if a bit more expensive
than  I prefer! A group of us went to the Difficult
Campground outside of Aspen and had a gorgeous view of
the mountains with, well, aspens in front from our
campsite. It started to rain so we went to a gazeebo
in a close by park and cooked our very own pasta
dinner.
It was rather comical, all of us with a camp stove
cooking pasta in this really ornate gazeebo!  Keeping
with the theme, dubbed the eating place "Cucina D'
Aspen", the best place to grab pasta that night in all
of Aspen! (Homemade marinara sauce courtesy of me, so
I am a bit biased. :D)

The following morning made our way to the race. A
trail half-marathon (13.1 miles) is a different beast
than a road marathon. For one thing, your pace is
slower. It is on trails so passing people is usually
not an option for most of the race. And it is much
more beautiful.

The race started up a ski area service road with a
nice 1000' climb in the first mile! Needless to say
most people (myself included!) walked the first part.
After this stiff climb, went down on nice single
track. Beautiful! Leaves carpeting the trail,
wonderful views of the mountains, little stream
crossings.  The ski hill climb had quickly made most
of the group seperate.
Ran with more or less the same 10 group of people for
the remainder of the race.

About half-way through another steep climb! Walked
this part as well, needless to say. Just after the
climb, hit an other ski area where you could pass a
bit. The top of the ski area had some more wonderful
views, this time into Aspen itself, the destination
for the end of the race.

THe last two miles were along bike paths in Aspen. As
th bike paths went along a creek and was through,
well, aspens, it was very nice.

MAde if to the finish line at ~2:30 or so and came in
my usual middle of the pack place.

By far the most fun and beautiful race I ran. Had a
blast! Had not done a run in about a month, but the 23
MPD pace on the Colorado Trail certainly helped with
my endurance a bit. :-)  Love trail races: easier on
the body, beutiful scenery, laid back people.

Even won some prizes at this race: a North Face ski
pack and those ugly Crocs that everyone seems to wear
now. (Thru-hikers of course have been wearing them for
a while in the form of "waldies").

Great weekend!

Next weekend..a full marathon. :-)

=====