[at-l] backpacks

In a message dated 9/19/2004 11:14:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
chaynes@gwi.net writes:

In my  opinion comfort is the number one consideration in a backpack for  new
backpackers, section hikers, and at the beginning of a through hike  (long
distance like the AT). I always recommend getting the lightest framed  pack
that is COMFORTABLE with the most gear and weight you will be  carrying.

**

Funny, but after a few months (of my AT  hike), comfort wasn't an  issue.
My shoulders HURT, my feet hurt. I lost a total of 50 pounds of padding in
my back
& shoulders, so everything rubbed me the wrong way, but you get used to  it.
LOL!
Ultra light isn't the answer for some of us, but semi light works for me
(under
3 pounds). The ULA - P2 was a balance of support & comfort, that  worked for
me.
Your milage may vary.

hotdog AT 03