[at-l] about that snake...

I agree with Skylander that the snake could have been either a rat snake or
a racer.  More likely a racer though, I'm thinking, based on Joe's
description (because of the relative thinness of the snake in proportion to
it's length).  And, Skylander is right.  Neither snake is venomous.  I
encountered a racer in my yard the other day.  It stopped and "froze" for
awhile (after my cat ran up to it and bounded over it several times,
obviously wanting to "play").  I've seen racers "freeze in place" like that
on a number of occasions (much more than rat snakes, which usually keep on
moving).  After I made it clear to my cat that he was not allowed to "play"
with that poor frightened snake (I was afraid he would hurt it), the snake
slithered away rather quickly.

Cheryl / Swamp Blar

PS.  I also saw a small (about 1 1/2 feet long) water moccasin/cottonmouth
swimming in the little lake (very close to the bank I was standing on)
behind our house the other day.  That snake also "froze" for awhile, after I
continued walking toward it and then stopped at a distance which allowed me
to observe its "beauty" but also remain far enough away for a quick retreat
(by me, in the event that the venomous snake decided to move toward me --
water moccasins can be very aggressive, even the little ones).  I also
picked up a rather large stick and held onto it (giving me a little more
feeling of safety while I watched the snake), but I didn't even consider
killing that snake, since it was not doing anything that appeared to present
a threat.  Water moccasins are a valuable part of the naturally occurring
wildlife species around these parts and I respect their "right" to be left
unharmed, unless they are directly threatening to harm me or my loved ones.