[at-l] Mental Illness, Homelessness, and Hiking

In a message dated 9/11/04 16:17:50 Eastern Daylight Time,
stephensadams@hotmail.com writes:

> Let?s not forget, "The Great Communicator" reduced taxes by changing the

> standards for access to mental health providers.  Former beneficiaries, and
> people who would qualify under the former standards, are on the street now.
> Many are unable to cope effectively within our society.  That's why they
> received treatment.

In a message dated 9/11/04 16:17:50 Eastern Daylight Time,
stephensadams@hotmail.com writes:

> Let?s not forget, "The Great Communicator" reduced taxes by changing the

> standards for access to mental health providers.  Former beneficiaries, and
> people who would qualify under the former standards, are on the street now.
> Many are unable to cope effectively within our society.  That's why they
> received treatment.

You may or may not know that then modern medication made it possible for
patients to reside in their communities after spending 10-30 or more years within
the walls of an institution that there was a universal move to release people
back into their communities.  The Federal government directed that funds were
to be used to reacclimatize the institutionalized to a deinstitutional way of
life.

Some states such as Connecticut set up an elaborate system to prepare and
then support patients from State Hospitals to live normal lives.  Many patients
were afraid to return to life on the "outside" and required a lot of careful
management.  Visits over the course of a year or two from the hospitals to their
home communities introduced them to what we take for granted.  Stores, Mall,
Prices of items and necessities, modern clothing and modes of dress, and so
much more, were learned.  Groups were formed in the hospitals to discuss
discharge fears, as well as opportunities for living were addressed.  But the major
factor in the success of the deinstitutionalization program was the assigning
of Case Managers to each patient.

The Case Manager assisted the patient in finding housing, financial benefits
(Medicare and Medicaid, SSI or SSD, and Veteran's benefits), vocational
training, day programs, psychiatric medication as well as physical health care, and
anything else that they needed including socialization opportunities.  Many
organizations were formed (attracted by the money that was allocated by the
State and also by the opportunity to offer care to a needy population) to provide
housing (group homes) and club services.  The case manager was the ombudsman
and facilitator who offered various choices to the patient (now called
consumer).  As the consumer of services offered by the State the formerly
institutionalized grew into person capable of making choices.  Some grew capable quickly
and others were slower.  No matter the pace the case manager remained on the
job and eventually as a patient became stable there was a release to the private
system.  In addition to the Case Management system there was a Crisis Service
for those who were suicidal or in some cases homicidal.

The Crisis Team evaluated those who were on public assistance, in hospitals
as well as in their homes when called by family or neighbors.  At times the
result of a home referral resulted in hospitalization to restore a medication
regime or if needed a longer hospitalization to provide a time for new
medications to be substituted for medication that was uncomfortable or just not working.
 The Case Manager was called when their patients (consumers) were involved.
Often the CM had information that was helpful in making an assessment.  The
Crisis Team usually consisted of a Mental Health worker, a Registered Nurse, a
Psychologist, and a Psychiatrist.  Usually two of the team would make the visit
and then if medication or hospitalization was deemed necessary the
psychiatrist would write or authorize the order to provide the care necessary.

Other States (such as NY) just dumped the patients into their communities and
allocated the funds from the Federal government to the local communities,
which in many cases merely used the funds to aid their police departments or
municipal hospitals.  This did not work and caused many, who did not follow
through with their medication needs, to deteriorate and lose any gains they may have
made.  Many became homeless when their families became unable to care for
them, or in the case of those who did not have immediate family, to become
homeless.  They received their SSI money (somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 per
month) and resorted to begging on the streets.  Some took menial jobs where
they subsisted on minimal (off the books) jobs.  Often consumers or patients
fell victim to predators (there are always some who will victimize the weak).
Fortunately NY State has changed (brought on my public pressure) and now
provides case management services.  The Homeless Services addresses Mental Health as
well as other needs of those who utilize the Shelter services.

Even the best managed services has individuals who "drop out" and become
homeless and fall into the Correctional institutions (read: jails and prisons).
My job was to advocate for those who were mentally ill and attempt to catch
them before they were sent to jail (for misdemeanors) and refer them to a care
institution.  If the mentally ill person committed a felony then there is a
whole system within the correctional system which provides psychiatric services
and then upon release (in Connecticut anyway) the person is referred to the
Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services.  Again, prior to release, the
patient is visited and services are offered in a series of visits and then
upon release the patient is met and introductions are made.  Often the first
place the releasee is housed is in a shelter and then applications (always begun
when in prison) are processed for stable housing arrangements.

Some patients (very small percentage) go hiking.  They can live in the woods
cheaply and have their monthly income, available through direct deposit, as a
resource for food, shelter, and other needs.  I remember one consumer who used
to walk to NYC from Stamford, CT on a regular basis.  Now, I consider that
"Long Distance Hiking."  I can't remember if he ever took his walking therapy
out to the wilderness areas.  Some prefer roads and towns.

Most of those who are mentally ill can function quite well with modern
medications.  The asylums for the insane are a thing of the past.  Of course, there
are those who do not respond to medication and there is a need for hospitals
that treat mental illness to exist.  Many who have mental illness are subject
to pressures of society.  Work situations often exacerbate problems that others
can deal with in a positive way or ignore and go on with their lives.
Parental pressure can trigger the buttons that when pressed throw the mentally ill
into dangerous zones.  Weather, stories of heroes being killed, the sadness of
war, breakup with a boyfriend or girlfriend, poor nutrition, the sight of
police, newspaper stories regarding automobile accidents, and all of those things
that everyone reacts to in the news, can trigger an episode that can result in
a need for additional medication, or a stay in a hospital, until issues can
be discussed, and medication adjusted.  This is why in day programs (which
provide a type of structure) there is usually a current events group that allows
issues to surface in the presence of others who can mitigate the severity of
news that disturbs.  Often patients and consumers help each other better than
the professionals involvement.  When asked what aspect of the day program was
most beneficial one patient replied, "I like the coffee breaks."  When asked why
he replied that the conversations with others experiencing similar influences
allowed him to realize that his feelings were OK and not out of line.  I
think this is analogous to the Shelter gatherings on the AT -- the hike is long
and difficult but the shelters (or camping with friends between shelters) --
allow some venting and assurance that the pain and the experiences are "normal"
and no one is alone in their pain or exultation.
In society, Bars or Coffee Shops offer the same opportunity to talk.  It is a
universal remedy to the stresses of daily life.

Anyway, people are people, and we are all in the same predicament: Life!
Some have chemical imbalances and others have emotional imbalances.  Medication
can help some and not others.  Alcohol or other substances helps some and not
others.  And, human contact can help some (most) but sometimes it is good to be
alone.  Each has to figure what works for themselves.

Skylander