[at-l] Shane's postings re the Dateline hiker Story

Shane, I am surprised at your thoughts on this guy.  I saw the program;
it was informative and moving to me.  Yes, it was TV, with each side
seeking to gain (the usual book, cleverly titled "between a rock and a
hard place."  Re retrieving his arm, when folks went back to do that, it
took something like 11 men, and over 1,100 pounds of leverage from some
device like the jaws of freedom used by rescure workers to get the
boulder off.  He either lost the arm or died, and he had no chance to
react when the huge boulder moved.  I think it is counterproductive to
engage in these hindsight postulations about hiking alone, changing
routes, leaving itineraries, etc.  Heck, the whole point for me is to at
least occasionally experience a taste of "closer to real freedom," which
- to me anyway involves having to deal with the natural world closer to
her terms than ours, where not every base is covered.  The guy does not
come across as a publicity seeker, or hero status seeker; part o his
journey through the Dateline story was about closure - he literally
returned to the spot to scatter the ashes from his cremated arm and
erase his personal "last words" that he had scratched into the rocks
around him when he thought he was going to pass from this world.  It did
indeed remind me of the magazine article on the other hiker who had a
similar boulder pin his leg; that person died affirming his love for
life, family and God . . . you know, it may sound strange, but I
respect, even envy a bit a death like that, and from your writings,
would think you would, too.  I respect the side of you that teaches
prevention, self-defense, etc.  However, in the end, those goals can
become so consuming that you fall into the real tort reform issue of our
day - the tendency for us all to over-analyze and implicitly believe
that there is no such thing as an accident anymore - a simple twist of
fate that is nobody's fault, and - in fact - is part of an important
reaffirmance of our humble place in this incredible spinning mess of
live, death and rebirth . . .

I do not mean to start some point-by-point thread discussion on all
this, but I felt a deep urge to somehow, in a very imperfect way, try to
express the feeling that this hiker sought not to experience cheap
thrills, but rather to experience a deeper, more real form of living.  I
admire him for it, for his actions to hold on to life, and for what he
has done since.  I admire the guy who died, too; and I admire all of us
who, in our own small ways, feel a kinship with the wildness of nature.
Let us not forget, in our discussions about gear lists, safety, etc.
that there is something freeing and spiritual about wildness that
touches our souls deeply - and that touching must be for a reason . . .
just as the fury of Hurricane Ivan triggers all kinds of emergency
preparedness efforts, evacuations, etc. it also triggers in me a deep,
visceral desire to experience it, and find beauty and spiritual meaning
in such  immense power . . . hope this makes some sense, at least to one
soul out there - especially on this day, when we need to find beauty,
spiritual understanding and comraderie with all mankind as we remember
what happened so close to our beloved Trail three years ago.  Sometimes
we have to let go in order to get free . . .

Thru-Thinker