Bulletin!!! Feral cats - Re: OT - Re: [at-l] Glad this guy is not a hiker - gunstory

A car just ran over one of "my" eight -- leaving just seven "problems" left. I've sort of lost track, but I think it is not a descendent of one of my original kittens, but one a summer person dropped by the side of my semi rural road some weeks ago knowing that I tended to feed such critters. A wonderful act of charity -- or something -- on their part.

The question now is what to do with the body. Shall I put it in my compost and thus letting it finally help feed me in return for all those 18 pound bags of cat food I've bought? I've done that when little kittens have died or been killed. But this is a pretty big creature. Since the bald eagles took up residence across the cove I've sometimes dumped road kills on the marsh so the eagles will have a small additional food source for their babies.

That's what I did when the possom was killed last spring, for instance. But is this a proper end for cat that had been befriended as a cute kitten by a summer visitor and then dumped on the highway, when they realized the hassle of a cat in a city apartment?

A 1960s friend used to raise lambs each summer, which of course became pets for his three kids. His message to his kids was simple. "We are going to give them a  wonderful six months of life, then they are going to return the favor by providing us with nourishing food next winter."

Weary