[at-l] slightly on topic - Re: Glad this guy is not a hiker - gun story

Once upon a time ( now that I'm an old codger I can say that), people took
responsibility for animals.  If you had a wild dog or cat on your farm
killing livestock, you shot it.  It was not considered a crime worthy of
capitol punishment but rather a matter of common sense, responsibility, and
survival.  One possible knee-jerk for this news story is to assume he was a
drooling gun nut who liked to kill puppies for pleasure.  That may truly be
the case.  If so, he and we are much better with him off the street.  Let me
at 'em.

Regardless, he almost qualified for the Darwin award because of his
gun-handling stupidity.

An alternate possibility is that he had an old-fashioned sense of
responsibility and the intestinal fortitude to do the job himself for less
than a dollar instead of farming the job out to the vet or the Humane
Society for hundreds of dollars...using assets that could better be used
elsewhere.  There is an appropriate time and place to take this
responsibility into your own hands.  It just seems to be more acceptable and
sanitary nowadays to take them to the Humane Society and then forget about
it.  Also, some people just aren't "made-that-way" to be able to handle the
putting down themselves.  Some communities make that option illegal because
the results and safety can't be controlled.

The chicken$#&* way to handle the problem is to just go 10 or 20 miles down
the road and dump them on someone else.  I have always considered that an
unacceptable shirking of duty.  I have rescued many animals - mostly
puppies - and adopted them into good homes.  The local radio swap-shop
program ALWAYS works for me.  Sadie came to us in 1997 after one of our
hurricanes and adopted us after a few charitable hotdogs were tossed her
way.  She had a broken hip and collar hair matted showing where she had
clearly been someone's pet.  We had her spayed and her hip operated on and
she has been the best pet we have ever had.  Part German Shepard, part
Aligator, part man-hole cover.

BTW, to keep this on topic, feral cats kill wildbirds by the score.  Ever
notice the songbird population in the woods and on the trail ain't what it
used to be?  When you catch a feral cat, please consider taking it to the
pound for adoption or euthanasia.  Spaying and nutering and then releasing
back into the wild to hunt is cruel in it's own way.  Cats left outside
decimate the local bird and rabit population.  Just my $.02 worth.  Back to
lurking with my dog Sadie.  She is a much better typist than I am.  Better
spell checker too.  I also like cats.
George