[at-l] Glad this guy is not a hiker - gun story <WAY OT>

In a message dated 9/10/04 11:48:40 Eastern Daylight Time,
jmmiele@optonline.net writes:

> As far as homelessness goes, if you say, as you did, that "most of those
> who are homeless choose to be that way" it implies that you know most of the
> people who are homeless and the reasons why they are in their situations.  I

It is true that I do not know most of those who are homeless, but I have
worked with the homeless for many years.  There are homeless families who
desperately want to have a home of their own and these people (in NYC and surrounding
cities) do get assistance toward that end.  However, there are homeless
individuals who have been offered assistance but who refuse that aid.  We all choose
to be where we are.  If we do not study in school or drop out then we do not
(I know that there are exceptions) succeed in life.  There are those who are
poor because they have not prepared themselves to be wealthy.  It is true that
there are some who are wealthy who have had their wealth given to them even
though they have not done anything to deserve it, but if a survey was done among
those who have worked for success then it would turn out that their efforts
toward success were rewarded.

Homelessness on the Appalachian Trail (I know some might say that the AT is
home) is a choice and a rewarding one at that.  The completion of the trail (or
a section of the trail) gives confidence in oneself.  The time spent "alone"
in the wilderness is instructive and gives insight into one's strengths and
weaknesses.  To hike on the AT gives awareness of possibilities.  The period of
homelessness when chosen by an individual also gives insight.  Some become
comfortable with it and others find ways to change their position.  It is a
choice that each person makes.

Skylander