[at-l] '...half order...?"

Bror8588@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/7/04 11:20:39 Eastern Daylight Time,
> AThiker@smithville.net writes:
>

>> 'half order of biscuits and gravy'.
>

> The word biscuits is plural and therefore a half order would be at
> least one whole biscuit with half the amount of gravy normally served.
>  Half a biscuit would be 1/4 order of biscuits and gravy unless the
> word biscuits refers to more than two biscuits.  If that is true then
> higher math would be involved in the calculations.

I believe the term 'biscuits and gravy' is used to describe the meal
itself, and not the quantity ordered. For instance....chitlins...You'll
never hear someone order a single 'chitlin'.  The size of the order is
also not determined by how many biscuits are given. In fact, sometimes
the biscuits are broken up into an indefinable number of pieces and then
an appropriate amount of gravy is dispersed so as to cover the orts of
biscuits. So...an 'order' is whatever size the restaurant has
decided...and, a 'half order' is, be definition, ruffly half that size.
(Though, half orders almost never cost half as much. It must be that
'higher math' you describe.)

--
Felix J.
ME-->GA '98