[at-l] Speaking of gear

I was very happy with the performance of my gear this trip.

The Nomad was not tested much, as I spent most nights in shelters -- a tad
different for me, but the rain pushed me that way.  However, when did use it,
I stayed dry, my down bag stayed dry, etc.

The Packa & Rain Kilt got a fair workout.  It was not used as much as a
non-long distant hiker might suppose -- as I  hiked in the rain in a t-shirt
most of the time.  To me rain gear when hiking [in all but "cold" weather] is
a core-body-temperature-control device, not a keep-dry garment.  I get wet
when hiking one-way-or-the-other -- rain or sweat, my option.  However, when I
needed to keep the colder rain from cooling me down too much, the Packa did
its job -- quite well.

The Vapor Trail was wonderful -- the most comfortable pack I have ever walked
with.  It's rated at 30 lbs.   Most of the time I was 26-32 lbs.  However, a
couple of times after resuply I was at 34 lbs.  It handled its load well.

The Big Agnes Pad was worth the extra weight.  I even slept on the ball-bat
floors w/o even knowing that they were there.  For the younger, it may be
overkill, but I loved it.

My soda-can stove & my pot cozy cooking are old friends and we are well suited
for each other.

About the only problems I had were with shoes and gaiters.

First, shoes.  The rocks up there abraded the stitching on the sides of the
uppers.  [Why do the design those look neat layers of stitched stuff were the
rocks can wear the threads out?]  Started off with Shoe Goo to protect the
stitching.  Helped some, but I only got about 100 miles before the seams at my
little toe started to open.  On the next pair, switched to Aquaseal.  It made
the rest of the way and I still have some more miles in the shoes.

Next gaiters.  I was given a pair that closed up the side and fastened with a
snap on the outside top and bottom.  Bad design for the rocks.  The rocks in
southern Maine knocked the outside half of the snap off.  Got a pair of ORs,
which close up the front for the rest of the trip.

Additional lesson learned:  Carry a replacement bite valve.  Also hang your
hydration bag so as to discourage mice chewing the bite valve off.

Chainsaw