[at-l] Frances in living color

On Sep 3, 2004, at 8:54 AM, Mark Hudson wrote:

> Something about the "F" hurricanes... while Amy was getting soaked in
> the
> Dolly Sod I had already hiked through Hurricane Dennis (you know, WV
> never
> did pay me for ending their drought that year...). When I heard Floyd
> was
> coming along something in my intuition said "Don't mess with Floyd
> boy...".
> I was hiding out in a motel room in White Sulfer Springs. Of course
> Floyd
> totally missed that area, didn't even rain. Not sorry I didn't tempt it
> though, If I had hiked out of town I probably would have had the storm
> come
> in, I would have been stuck in that old fire tower/raptor lookout on
> Peters
> Mt, watching the lightning trying to fry me, and running low on food.
> Now
> who called me a "weather witch"? <g>

My mom's a weather witch.  I don't camp with her anymore if I can help
it.
I'm just glad not to have inherited it.

I had two weeks to spend but I left Dolly Sods in under a week, because
I got tired of the wading.  (And I was worried, for good reason as it
turned
out, about the itty bitty road washing out.)  I headed back east and
found
that the weather cleared the farther I went.  I stopped at Shenandoah
just to see what it was like and ended up hiking for a week.  You know,
Shenandoah rangers are very snotty about solo hikers right after
a hurricane..

-amy