[at-l] 15 Costliest Hurricanes, Storms in U.S.

>"...10. Unnamed (New England), 1938, 3, $4.7 billion "

I guess my memory was off by a year. Maybe that's why I thought I was 8-years-old. The numeral 8 was stuck in my mind. I had never heard of the Appalachian Trail at that time, but AT historians often note that the trail officially was "completed" in 1937, and was destroyed a year later by the giant hurricane.

I do remember that lesser used trails through the White Mountains were blocked by blowdowns for years thereafter. Earl Shaffer struggled through some of the remains of the '38 hurricane on his first ever thru hike in 1948.

The diaries of Benedict Arnold's men on their REvolutionary War trek through Maine to capture Quebec reveal that a similar storm came through that year also, destroying supplies and the success of the mission. That storm may be why Canada is a separate nation.

Weary