[at-l] Frances and Home Destruction

At 10:12 PM 9/2/2004 -0400, Logan Park wrote:
>Why do folks live in areas that have a regular, significant risk of total
>home destruction by hurricane, wildfire, etc.?

Although I live in a relatively safe place myself (if you don't count the
odd ice storm or blizzard) but my son just moved from a wildfire zone in
California to tornado alley in Texas. The reason for his residence in both
places was the same... work. That's where the jobs are in his field of
work. He'd love to live where I do but he'd have to give up his career and
subsist pumping gas or stocking shelves in the local supermarket. Now why
are the jobs in those places instead of here? You got me. I don't know.