[at-l] The Frances Forecast

<<I seem to remember that shortly before WWII there was a major hurricane,
which
devastated the NE US.  It was either overshadowed by other events, or press
was diverted for other reasons.  So, it is seldom brought up in discussions
of
storms.>>

Maybe a good place to check is the AT history. Seems I remember reading
about a hurricane that pretty much wiped out the trail in Maine right after
they completed it, so it would have been '38 or '39.

I live near Poughkeepsie (RPH Cabin is close enough). A hurricane went
through this area in '56 that I don't know much about, but there's a
generation of road bridges have been pretty much been rebuilt or replaced.
If you happen to notice the kind of thing like the constuction dates on
bridge "cornerstones" (don't ask me why I notice...) they were all built in
'57.

skeeter