[at-l] 2005 SoRUCK fund raisers...

In a message dated 8/22/2004 11:46:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
yugrekih@yahoo.com writes:

> FYI - The event at the PA RUCK that raised most of the funds was an
> auction.  A bunch of hiking related stuff - new and used - was donated
> from attendees, listers, businesses and the ATC.  The RUCK attendees,
> in an outpouring of generosity, bid an excess of $3000 (if I remember
> correctly) for these items.

I for one would rather see low key fund raising similar to last year.  IMO,
the big auction in PA that year took center stage away from the original intent
of the Ruck: an indistinguishable gathering of hikers, thru-hikers and
wannabes.

Although it went to a great cause, in the Place, with dire a need at the
time, the first couple Rucks in PA and GA had limited fund raising if any.

I'd prefer to have a hiker related event than an all out auction.

Sly

Sly