[at-l] Early Section Planning Damascus to Allen Gap in November

After careful consideration, and some trepidation. I've decided to see if
AT-L still has some trail lore, or if this is only the political bashing list.

I've been away from the trail for a couple of years involved in
professional and volunteer activities. I'm also one of those hikers in
"transition" needing a walk to clear my head.

As most of you know, I've been sectioning for years - on the 20 year plan.
I've got Springer to Allen Gap (north of Hot Springs) plus a few areas
further north.

I've been playing with the idea of Nov 13 thru 27 (week prior and the week
of Thanksgiving) to finish TN and NC. I've chatted some with Ms Janet. My
thoughts are to come up from Atlanta Nov 12 to Erwin, leave a car there and
shuttle to Damascus and start a walk south. I'd like to make it to Erwin
for her Thanksgiving celebration, but primarily I need some fresh air and
the Zen of walking. I assume I'd arrange with Ms Janet or friends a pick up
shuttle back to Erwin and the car, returning to Atlanta 11/28.

I plan to let this be the last major walk with my original Nomad, although
I might see if Ed Spears can put together a Pea Pod for me. I'm planning on
this being winter given that much of this walk is above 6000 ft. I had back
surgery earlier this year, with minor residual weakness in my right leg. I
walk Kennesaw Mtn to train. I found severe knee weakness back in May when I
attempted a day hike from Allen Gap to Hot Springs, managing only 11 of
those 16 miles. I am much stronger now. My last big section (2002) was DWG
-> Hudson River in 6 days. I'm hoping to get 12-16 mile days in, although I
hope to break myself in initially with a couple of 8 mile days.

So, what sort of things do I need to consider? What trail resources are
essential?

BTW, I am not petitioning for a hiking partner. I'm one of those silent
hikers by day, but chatty at night near shelters.

OrangeBug