[at-l] Sanibel Island---

       On battery power on my laptop. Phone line still good. Eyewall missed
at last second by 20 miles. Was headed for us up to that point. Estimate we
took 110-140mph winds.

     Island vegetation absolutely devastated. Large 3 foot-thick australian
pines snapped like matchsticks. 25-50% tree loss. Island like a war zone.
National Guard with machine guns and rangers on ATV's.

       No sewer, electric, water. Got free ice and cases of bottled water
from FEMA. Have cooler stocked.

      Houses amazingly intact. Saw many houses that had large canopy pines
and other trees completely leveled on all sides sitting in the middle without a
scratch. Saw much smashing of porches and decks. Only 1 roof gone here.

      Surge was unusually low. Saw sand wash under my garage door, but surge
ended at our street in front. Estimate 3 foot surge came 300 yards inland.

     Lots of drudgery work on constant schedule. Managed to get bed into
dormer near screened window to sleep. House stuffy and hot due to most storm
shutters being electric. Can just get by with head next to window.

      Lots of birds and wildlife all over. They are around in unusual numbers
and species we don't see in neighborhood.

     People leave at night and come back the next day. No utilities is
nothing to a through-hiker. Amazingly the clubhouse and 15 houses in our
neighborhood NEVER LOST POWER during a category 4 hurricane. It stopped short 4 houses up
from us.

      Clubhouse still powered. Can recharge batteries there! Hot, sticky and
humid. 2 large-crown trees came down lengthwise in our driveway. The rangers
took out the one closest to the street to allow us to park in the driveway.

       We have some siding missing due to negative pressure on the lee sides.
Most damage minor. 1/4 screened porch ripped away and gone with the wind.
Neighbor lost 1/2 their zinc. Inside sheetrock came down with insulation like a
quagmire. Other neighbor had zero damage!

       Several days of drudge work ahead. Getting up at dawn to save
batteries. Woke up to bizarre DC-3 buzzing the treetops. Turned out to be mosquito
control aircraft...

       - "R 'n R