[at-l] What's Wrong with This Picture?

At 02:46 PM 8/19/2004 -0400, Leslie Booher wrote:
>In today's Richmond Times-Dispatch, there is a full-page ad for something
>called The Sanctuary.  Savor those words.  Roll them over on your tongue
>and in your psyche.  The Sanctuary.
>
>OK.  The top picture shows the surf with tide pools on the beach, the
>setting sun, etc.  The caption is "We started with perfection"...
>
>The bottom picture shows a 240 unit luxury condominium complex sitting on
>that beach.  The continued caption reads, "and built upon it".  The logo
>shows a great blue heron between the words.  This is someplace on the
>Outer Banks, but their website doesn't work.  It's supposed to be
>www.outerbankssanctuary.com  but nothing comes up, even with Google.  I
>guess Google is too busy selling stock today to search properly.  The
>whole name of the condo place is supposed to be The Sanctuary at False
>Cape.  It should be more like The Sanctuary at False Hope.
>
>The longer I look at this ad, the angrier I get.  The PR people had no
>understanding of the environment if they used this approach.  Grrrrr........

>anklebear

It reminds me of a TV ad (for an investment firm I think) where a couple
are sitting on a rise overlooking a mountain lake and they visualize a log
cabin (think log *house*, not a vacation cabin). The message is that the
investment company can make your dreams come true.

I have those dreams too but realize that there are places in this world
where the dream shouldn't come true because doing so will spoil what made
it a dream in the first place. Of course, short of winning the LOTTO there
is no danger to wild areas from my dreams :). I guess it's human nature to
want such things and equally human not to see that if future generations
are to enjoy those same areas we need to exercise restraint.