[at-l] Spiriteagle in Alaska - trip report (Long)

Some of you might remember (and a very few of you might even care) that we
spent nearly three weeks in Alaska.  With one exception, the trip went
pretty much as we planned it ? but we?ll get to the unplanned part later.
This isn?t gonna be short ? and it?s not even close to the ?full Monty?.  If
anyone wants the full journal, let us know and we?ll send it to you.  But
you?ll have to wait a bit because it hasn?t been completely typed yet.
Onward ---

We left Washington, DC on July 15, with a layover in Minneapolis, and got to
Anchorage about 10 hours later.  For the last hour of the flight we were
watching the coastal mountain ranges, icefields and glaciers of southeastern
Alaska and southwestern Canada (the Chugach, Wrangell and St Elias ranges).
That 30,000 ft view is jaw-dropping if you have any idea at all of the scale
of what you?re looking at.

We stayed in Anchorage overnight, then drove 300+ miles to McCarthy and the
Wrangell-St Elias National Park the next day.  We played ?flatland
tourister? all the way (although we did stop to do a couple short loop
hikes).  And we stopped at the National Park HQ in Copper Center to pick up
a couple bear cans.  The Park supplies (loans) them free to those who intend
to go into the backcountry.   And we certainly did intend to do that.

Wrangell-St Elias National Park is the largest National Park in the US ? 14
million acres.  It has exactly 2 roads ? both of them long, rough, unpaved
dead-ends with little or no redeeming social value.  The McCarthy Road is
one of those two roads - and it?s 59 miles of ?bad road?.  Those who drive
these roads are told to carry at least one and preferably two GOOD spare
tires.  In spite of that, a lot of people seem to drive out there.

Next morning we walked the half-mile from the Glacier View Campground to the
McCarthy Creek bridge.  It?s a footbridge ? and it?s the only public access
to the town of McCarthy and the airstrip that services 14 million acres of
backcountry.  After a good breakfast, we finally got the packs loaded into a
bush plane about 11 am, took off and headed for the Horsfeld airstrip, which
is the insertion point for the Nutzotin Traverse (can you say Newt-zoh-tin?)
  The Nutzotin Traverse is ?sorta? what we intended to do.  It?s about a
30-mile trailless ?route? of mixed Alaskan tundra, taiga and mountain goat
country, starting at Horsfeld and ending at Solo Creek.  Nearly all of it is
above treeline.

The bush plane left us at the Horsfeld airstrip about noon, after which we
followed the advice of both the pilot and the horse packing entourage that
showed up just after the pilot took off ? we changed our route to take a
higher elevation and supposedly easier crossing of Klein Creek than the one
we?d planned on.  Didn?t seem to matter though ? we still went for an
unplanned, unwanted and unwelcome swim with our packs - and lost 2 of our 4
water bottles in the process.  And this was in an area where previous hikers
had complained about the lack of ?good? water ? and we were warned that we
should carry as much water as possible.  But somehow we never had that
problem.  The second creek crossing that day went a lot better, the third
one was dry and we camped at the fourth creek (about 8 miles from Horsfeld).

This was when we discovered that our tent poles were missing.  Ooops!!!
Initial speculation was that we?d lost them when we lost it and went
swimming at the first creek.  But that didn?t fit somehow.  We finally
decided that they?d fallen out of the pack in the bush plane.  Either way ?
there was no way to get them back.  So you deal with it.  That first night
we were lucky enough to be in trees and could use them to tie the tent up.
Good thing we did cause it rained on us that night.  But that was the last
time we had trees to use like that ? and it did rain every night.

Next morning, just as we were picking up the packs to start walking, we
heard a plane. It was Don, our pilot.  He?d found the tent poles late the
previous evening.  So the next morning he used his own plane, his own gas
and his own time, dragged his wife along as a spotter ? and air dropped them
to us.  Trail magic exists ? even in the wilds of Alaska.  He saved us a
whole lot of misery because we had rain every night we were out there.

The next couple days consisted of:  climb the mountain; look for wildlife;
are we where we think we are?  (we were); it?s raining again; wow, did you
see the size of that caribou?; let?s take this ridge and see where it goes;
my feet hurt; holy mackerel, this is beautiful; I?m hungry; I?m sunburned;
do we need to filter? (we didn?t); how much film do we have left? (enough);
let?s hope the digital memory holds out; let?s camp down there; so where did
we put the bear cans last night?; what?s for dinner?; Dang, this pack is
heavy!?? etc.

We climbed over one un-named ridge after another, modifying our route as we
went.  The following is an appropriate quote from ?Mountaineering: Freedom
of the Hills? ?
The wilderness awaits those who have learned the skills of routefinding and
navigation??In medieval times the greatest honor a visitor could receive was
the rights of a citizen and the freedom of the city, sometimes even today
symbolized by presenting a guest with the ?keys to the city.?  For the
modern alpine traveler, routefinding is the key to wandering at will through
valleys and meadows, up cliffs and over glaciers, earning the rights of a
citizen in a magical land, a mountaineer with the freedom of the hills.

The country is beautiful ? green, rolling, un-named ridge after un-named
ridge, with stark, jagged mountains in the background interspersed with
glaciers, icefields and wild, raging glacier-fed rivers.  No roads, no
people, not even any aircraft.  The wildlife was plentiful ? although VERY
difficult to spot, the mountains are tough, the hiking is tougher (scrub
alder and willow are hard, but tundra is even harder to walk on/through),
the stream crossings are difficult, the climbs are long and hard, the views
are fantastic, and the wildlife is REALLY wild.  It?s REAL wilderness - not
the ersatz stuff most of you think of as ?wilderness.?

Most of the streams, mountains, and passes where we were hiking aren?t even
named.  One pass stood out on the map because it was the only named feature
on that whole ridge ? Fogenbera Pass.  So obviously we had to go there to
see why - even though it was well off our original planned route.  We still
don?t know --- but we were there.  OTOH, the only time we followed our
?planned route? was on the 5th day ? other than that all the planning we?d
done was just so much firestarter ? except that there was a fire ban and we
couldn?t even get rid of it like that.

The fifth day was a long, easy, open ridge walk with wide open views ? at
least when the clouds didn?t close down on us.  When they did, it was very
cold ? and very windy.  But when it cleared a little, we could see a large
part of where we?d been for the last 4-5 days, as well as where we were
going, and into the raw jagged  ranges to the north and south of us.

We woke on the 6th day, having seen no human sign except one single boot
print up on a ridge since the horse packers just after we?d been dropped at
Horsfeld.  So - of course ? this was our day for ?resocialization?.  Sorta.
We were supposed to be picked up at the Solo Creek airstrip at 3 pm so we
were fed, packed and hiking early.  Lots of time to cover the 3 miles to the
airstrip from our campsite ? right?  Well ? not really.  Dontcha know we
just couldn?t resist going to see Solo Lake and then doing another ridge
walk to get that fantastic view of Solo Lake to the East, the braided White
River to the South --- and the un-named ridge we?d walked yesterday
stretching off to the North.  Beautiful.  Unfortunately, it was also too big
for the cameras to be able to capture it.  It also put us further from the
airstrip than when we?d started that morning.   So at noon, we still had
over 3 miles of bushwhacking through the taiga to get to the airstrip.  Talk
about a scramble.

Somehow we made it with 45 minutes to spare.  And as the airstrip hove into
view, so did the girls.  Yep ? I said ?girls?.  A group of 5 teenage girls
from a YMCA camp in Minnesota who were out there for a 34 day trip in the
wilderness.  They?d  started at Horsfeld and taken 18 days to do the same 30
miles that we?d intended to do in 6 ? except that we?d stretched it out to
about 50 miles by ?exploring? different routes and ridges. And they?d
stretched out their ?time-on-trail? by carrying 19 days of food for the
first leg of their trip.  They each had, not one, but TWO bear canisters.
And very, VERY large packs.  We had lunch with them while we waited for the
plane ? and then we advised them to go read Ray Jardine.

Of course, after our scramble to be on time for our pickup, the plane got
there 3 hours late.  All of us sat there having visions of having to walk
the 70 miles out of there ? and between the seven of us, we couldn?t have
scraped together enough food for a single day.  But the plane did finally
show up ? the girls got their resupply, we got back to McCarthy, and we got
to thank Don (our pilot) for airdropping our tent poles.  And then we got to
devour hamburgers and cokes back at the Glacier View Campground.

The next several days were ?different? - we were back in ?flatland
tourister? mode.  We drove back out the 59 miles of ?bad road?, returned the
bear cans to the Park HQ, and spent a couple days exploring Alaska.  We
drove to Tok  (pronounced ?Toke?), then to Fairbanks, stopping along the way
to explore the country and  some of the local attractions.  Like the
University of Alaska ?Museum of the North? and the town of North Pole, AK.
We even got a couple showers ? and more than a few meals.  <G>

Eventually we started to close the circle and headed for Denali.  It was
?almost? funny ? as we drove south from Fairbanks, we could see Denali
clearly, but it was too far away to get a good picture.  By the time we got
within range for a good picture, the haze had closed in and there was no
?good picture? (of Denali) to be taken.

We stayed at Riley Campground at Denali for a couple nights, taking the
?tourist? bus out to Eielson one day.  It was a wonderful trip ? 8 hours
long, but well worthwhile..  The tourist bus stops for wildlife ? and we saw
moose, caribou, wolves, gyrfalcons and grizzly ? among others.  As well as a
LOT of great scenery.  And we got pictures.   Lots of pictures.  But still
no ?good? pictures of Denali itself  because the weather had closed in.

The next morning we were back on a bus ? but this time it was the camper bus
and we had a permit for two days in the backcountry.  The camper bus also
stops for wildlife, but only if it?s really worthwhile.  The bears, caribou,
and fox must have classified as worthwhile because we spent some time
watching them.  And taking more pictures.  We got off the bus at the
Polychrome Overlook ? and hauled our packs away from the road. Freedom ?
again.  But we had a lot of trailless territory to cover.  The usual
(recommended) overnite hike from Polychrome is to circle East and get back
to the road near the East Fork of the Toklat (about a 9 mile hike).  So we
headed West for a lot more miles and a lot more difficult hike.  We were
told there were 8 people in that particular sector.  We only saw 2 ? and we
let them watch our taillights as we went over the far ridge headed for Cabin
Creek and the Toklat.  We made a very windy and somewhat rainy camp that
night on an un-named river bar after a long day of climbing around and over
a rockslide followed by some really rough bushwhacking.  A short walk after
dinner provided us with a long look at a herd of about 40 Dall sheep.  Of
course, neither of us had thought to bring a camera with us.   But we got
pictures of them the next morning after we climbed the ridge where they were
feeding.

Next day started reasonably well, then turned cloudy and intermittently
rainy about noon.  Our only wildlife sighting was the Dall sheep at the top
of the first ridge ? until we got to the Toklat River and were working our
way upstream toward the road. That?s when Ginny saw Mama Griz and her little
one ? close to the trees at the edge of the river bar - and between us and
the road.  We couldn?t pass her on the mountain side because that?s where
she was most likely to run if she decided to leave where they were feeding
and playing.  Yep ? I said playing ? they were chasing each other around
like a couple large (VERY LARGE) puppies.  Passing them on the river side
was chancy ? the river bar is about two hundred yards wide where we were ?
but if she chased us the only way out was into the water ? and the water
runs fast and deep through there.  So we really didn?t want to try to cross
that river.  Even waiting where we were for her to leave wasn?t a good
option because we were upwind of her and it wouldn?t be long before she knew
we were there and came to investigate.   So ? as that old saying goes ?
?L?audace, l?audace, toujours l?audace?  -- we got as close to the water as
possible and marched ? and sang.   Loudly.  Junior had moved about halfway
out from the trees toward the water, probably looking for something good to
eat. And as we marched upriver serenading our furry friends, Momma moved out
closer to us to join Junior and enjoy the unexpected and very ragged concert
? and, incidentally, to protect Junior.  Which left less than a hundred yard
gap between her and the river through which we somewhat (largely?) nervously
slid ? all the while watching her watch us.  And watch us she did ? until we
were a good half-mile upstream.  Not a CLOSE encounter ? but close enough.

We caught a bus out of the Park that afternoon, and drove south to Talkeetna
that evening.  Talkeetna is reputedly the town that inspired the TV program
?Northern Exposure? even though the show was actually filmed in Washington.
  It?s a nice town ? but really tourist oriented.

Then it was south again the next day through Houston, Wasilla and Anchorage
and out to the long and very scenic drive around Turnagain Arm.  We were
doin? well until the rain started about 85 miles south of Anchorage.  It was
the first rain there in quite a while ? which made the road slick.  And when
it started raining hard enough to make driving difficult, the driving got
REALLY difficult, because three of the tires started to hydroplane, the car
swapped ends and we ended up sliding backwards across the oncoming traffic
lanes, off the road and down over the embankment until, still backwards, we
came to a very gentle stop, cradled by the willows.  Over the years I?ve had
many a reason to curse the western willows.  But that day I thanked God for
them because they saved us from a lot harder and nastier landing than we?d
have otherwise experienced.  Ginny and I both walked away from the car ?
shaken but not hurt.  And then spent the rest of the day dealing with the
police, the wrecker, the rental car agency, the insurance company ? and
replanning the next few days of our trip.  And being thankful that we were
alive to do so.  I barely thought about it at the time, but I?ve since had
visions of the results of that 30 second slide if it had happened 60 seconds
earlier or later when one of the thousands of massive RV?s that travel that
highway had been in the right (or is that ?wrong??) place.

We spent that night back in Anchorage ? not far from the rental car agency
(which, incidentally, actually gave us another car).  The next morning,
after a short talk with the rental car agency manager about the bald tires
on the wrecked car, we were back on the road, headed for Seward.  We got
there in time to do a walking tour of the town, spend some time in the
Seward Sea-Life Center, get Ginny the Alaska salmon dinner she?d been
looking for ever since we got off the plane ? and then get a good night?s
sleep.

We needed the sleep because I hadn?t slept at all the night before (after
the accident).  And because we had an early date with a cruise boat that
took us on a long leisurely 9-hour cruise to the Northwestern Glacier, with
stops along the way to watch seals, several different species of whale, sea
lions, sea otters, mountain goats, and the rookeries for a number of
different types of birds.  It was about 100 mile trip ? and very tiring.
And very much worthwhile.

The next day was ?free? ? we had nothing particular planned, so we headed
for Soldotna, Ninilchik and Homer with a whole lot of ?tourist-type stops?
along the way, as well as some hiking on the Lost lake Trail.  The Homer
Spit is as far west as one can drive on the Continental US road system.
Homer is also famous for its Bald Eagles.  The salmon weren?t running while
we were there, so most of the eagles weren?t in evidence, but there was one
that, as we drove slowly out the Spit, flew alongside us for a while,
crossed over the road right in front of the car and then flew on.  We spent
that night back in Soldotna.

The next morning was our last day to play so we again spent the day being
tourists all the way back to Anchorage where we returned the car, talked to
the rental car agency owner again ? and -- he offered me a job.  Hmmm -
maybe I should take it?

We repacked that night and were on a plane headed home early the next
morning.  Bummer.

In 18 days, we saw a lot of beautiful country (and a lot of wildlife), did a
little hiking (about 75 miles total), got reminded that blazes are
superfluous and that trailless hiking is both challenging and interesting,
met a lot of nice people, found some places we could live (and a few places
we wouldn?t want to live), took a lot of pictures, ate too much, spent too
much, had a LOT of fun - and once again exhausted ourselves playing touron.
And it was worth every bit of it.  Now all we have to do is get back into
what some people think of as ?real life? ? although we think of it as ?that
other world? because we know where ?real life? lives.