[at-l] Camping in 100 Mile Wilderness

I am currently planning on doing the 100 Mile Wilderness section of Maine in September. What are the rules for camping at places other than designated campgrounds? Can we camp anywhere?

One specific question is that we may be leaving White House Landing Camps in the late mporning and Wadleigh Stream looks too close (8.7miles plus boat ride) but Rainbow Stream Lean-to may be too far (16.8 miles plus boat ride) if we get a late start. I'vew heard "if you stay at White House, relax, don't be in a hurry". Any good camping spots in that area? How about near Crescent Pond?

Thanks
Pb