[at-l] Rainbow Springs

Clear DayI am attaching the below information that I have just received regarding the "saving" of Rainbow Springs for all of us hikers, as well as nature enthusiasts.........It sure sounds good to me.  I was afraid that my last visit to RBS would be one of my last, but this sounds very promising:

Winton of Mountain Crossings is out in Salt Lake City now at the Trade Show and we have overnighted copies of the letter. His job is to show and give copies of the letter to the outfitters and get them to donate or pledge money. We hope to be able to raise the million dollars needed to buy the campground, through them, and othe entities that want to save forest land, rivers, and areas along the Applachain Trail. (all these big companies need tax write offs and with this letter from the LTLT everyone comes out a winner. The owners get their money, the outfitters get their write off and a place to always be able to sell and advertise their gear. Winton has a place to sell his stuff, the Campground stays the same and gets off the "Endangered Hostel List",  the hikers always will have this oasis at the 100 mile marker.....All proceeds over running costs will go back to the LTLT to help preserve other endangered rivers and land.
    I don't know ALL the details exactly but I am going to add some exerpts from the letter. We still need all the help, support, and ideas anyone can come up with.
(Following are some quotes from the letter.....The LTLT already being a "non-profit conservation organization" AND on our side is 50% of the way there)

" The Land Trust for the Little Tennessee (LTLT) is a non-profit conservation organization, incorporated in the State of North Carolina, with the mission to conserve the rural lands, forest and waters of the upper Little Tennessee valley located in western North Carolina and north Georgia."
  "LTLT is developing a conservation initiative for the headwaters of the Nantahala River - one of the premier trout fisheries and white-water rivers in southern Appalachia. As part of this initiative our Land Trust is interested in helping to conserve the Rainbow Springs Campground and Hiker Hostel which is currently at high risk of conversation to an exclusive residential development. Thje Rainbow Springs site is an historic landmark on the Appalachian Trail (AT). It lies at the heart of the most rugged and spectacular reach of the AT in the south, as it follows the crest of the Nantahala Mountain Range, and it serves as the only hiker hostel and resupply point along over 100 miles of the AT."
   "With this letter, the Land Trust for the Little Tennessee wishes to express its interest in conserving this key property and its availability to serve as the local non-profit conservation organization to partner with Winton Porter (Mountain Crossing Outfitter), Scott Dowling and Barry Glidden, among other conservationists committed to raising the funds required to conserve this campground and hostel for the present and future generations of Appalachian Trail Hikers."
   It is signed by Paul Carlson, Executive Director dated August 11, 2004

Mountain Laurel