[at-l] Maine Junction sign

Three years in a row I had hike to the Maine Junction
on three extended trips. Everytime I arrived at the
sign, had some thoughts that to this day are very
sharp in my mind.

The first time hiking to the this sign was on my
end-to-end hike on the Long Trail in 1997. It was my
first extended trip of any sorts and only a year after
I took up backpacking. The Long Trail was my
"shake-down" cruise for the AT hike I had been
planning in my head for about 6 mos now. Only my buddy
Tim knew about my plans to hike the AT in 1998.

I reached the Maine Junction and stared east to the
series of white blazes on the AT. My mind thought of
next year. How it felt right to be on Springer in
1998.
I then looked north, saw another series of white
blazes. Could not wait to see northern Vermont and see
mountains I have only read about. Looked forward to
continuing my first long hike.

In 1998, I again reached the Maine Junction. Briefly
looked north to where I had been last year. Continued
east towards New Hampshire with visions of the White
Mountains..MY MOUNTAINS! The Big K seemed ever closer.

The last time I saw the Maine Junction was in 1999. It
was my "farewell to Eastern hiking" before moving to
Colorado. Arrived at the junction again looked East
and thought about my thru-hike on the AT in 1998.
Looked north and was eager to again see northern
Vermont. Thougth of how in a few weeks I'd be starting
a new
life in Colorado.

The Maine Junction was indeed a junction for me. Not
just a junction for two different trails, but a
junction for a stage in my life. Everytime I came to
that junction was about or in the process of starting
a new part in my life. A sign point towards Canada and
Maine, a sign pointing towards where my life may go.

Mags (8 days until the CO trail!)

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com