[at-l] Feet Blew out :-(

Hi Gang,
     I am home from an aborted hike :-( . Thirty years and thousands
of miles hiked and I never had my feet hurt so bad. I have had
blisters, especially in the old days of heavy packs and heavy boots. I
usually just try to ignore them. They hurt for a while then kind of
numb out after a few miles only to hurt again after you stop. But
quite manageable.
     I think I must have bruised my feet this time. I drove to DWG and
parked at the Ramada Inn. Check at the desk and they let hikers park
there long term. I wanted a room but it was race weekend and rates
went from $42 yesterday to $139 today wow. I walked 5 miles to the
backpackers campsite north of the gap. Had just enough time before
dark to eat and chat with Ryan the resident Ridge Runner. Slept great
and felt strong blasted to Culvers Gap. Grabbed a cheese burger at
Gyps Tavern there in sight of the trail. I decided to call the Forest
Motel 1.8 miles away and see if they would come and pick me up. If
they wouldn't I would just continue to Gren Anderson 3 miles away (It
was only 4:00). The motel was clean $40. no tax. My A/C didn't work
but the fan did. Hey and I had HBO, that's it HBO no other channels
just that one haha. Walked back to the trail and stopped in Gren
Anderson for h2o. I thought I was running late it was 9:30 and the
thru hikers I had met were just rolling out. Carp and Ranger Jan were
there. Back in DWG I talked to Paperazzi and others I forget their names.
     I stopped at Hight Point shelter cause my feet were hurting. The
Reverend Klondike Jack, Paperazzi, hmm a young man who turns 21 on the
12th, cant remember his name he is from Greensboro near me and has a
Trail Journal, Balou were all their. About dark 12 scouts with two
semi adult leaders showed up. Instead of camping in the large tent
area across the creek they set up directly in front of the shelter in
the tiny unlevel space there. They had fun but were very noisy and
kept us up till almost 11:00 even though the reverend screamed SHUT UP
and cursed them a few times. LOL Oh yea Desperado was doing some major
trail magic. Leaving water at the dry Maichong Shelter and lots of
cookies, drink mixes etc in the bear boxes at several shelters.
     Klondike gave me some mole skin and I wore two pair of socks.
Still it hurt to walk. I moved along very carefully at about 1.5 mph.
I walked 4 or 5 miles and stayed at a friends place in NY with my feet
propped up. A couple of  south bounders were there, Pisses in the wind
and Cobalt and another section hiker "almost there" who was filling in
from an aborted 2001 thru.
     My feet hurt incredible. If I stood for 5 min they pounded but
even worse when I lifted a foot, and I guess when the blood flowed
back into the compressed foot pads, then the pain was like someone was
pounding them with a hammer. Hmm sounds bruised doest it. Both feet
too. Obviously this was going to take a while to heal. Jim offered to
take me to Campmore so I could buy new sturdier shoes to replace my
blown out ones. Instead I opted to come home so he drove me to Port
Jarvis where I grabbed a cap to DWG $60. and drove home.
     I hope I can do some hiking by next week? What do you think
resident doctors and experienced comrades of foot?

chase

http://www.mozilla.org/